Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] FMA range thoughts.... [CLEAN STAMP] Next: Re: What does FMA stand for?

Re: Goofy German Death Jeep

From: PERRYG1@a...
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:01:41 EDT
Subject: Re: Goofy German Death Jeep

Sounds horrible. Was this a competitive procurement? If so, how could it
have
possibly beat out anything else with a motor and 4 wheels?

Perry

<<
 The Canadian Forces replaced their "Jeeps" (the actual Jeep, a-la
1960's
 and '70's vintage) with a vehicle called the Iltis.  It's a German
 developed light truck/jeep thing with a VW motor.

 They tip over easily, they are a unibody design so when they suffer
 structural damage of any kind they're almost impossible to repair
 (certainly so in the field), they were supposed to be amphibious, but
we
 didn't buy that option, they offer minimal protection to the crew from
 either roll over or incoming fire/arty fragments/etc., their tires are
tall
 but thin, so they sink into soft terrain, they don't work all that
well, I
 think there were problems with the electrical system, and they are just
 overall pretty feeble.  The Germans don't like theirs, and we don't
like
 ours.	One of my friends tipped his over twice, doing combat driving
 training, and that was quite common on his course - for an "armoured"
recce
 regiment...

 Adrian

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] FMA range thoughts.... [CLEAN STAMP] Next: Re: What does FMA stand for?