Prev: Re: What does FMA stand for? Next: RE: [FT] Star Destroyer

Re: FMA Combat Movement

From: ScottSaylo@a...
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:03:33 EDT
Subject: Re: FMA Combat Movement

In a message dated 7/20/99 11:38:09 AM EST, Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca
writes:

<<  They are the chaotic (though in an orderly
 fashion... <grin>) movements of ground troops all with differing
 physical fitness levels, excitement levels, and paths across variable
 terrain. Random factors not only make the game more interesting, but
 (to a point) they help model 'fog of war'.

 I'm all for the idea that says a combat move is 0.5 * your full move
 plus a dice or rolling 2 movement dice and adding. I like that better
 than the multiplier, because that REALLY is variable (perhaps too much
 so - really hard to predict) and because it tends towards a mean
 result (with the multiple dice) while allowing a range or results.
 I'm actually running SG2 games where *whenever* a die multiplier is
 used we roll the dice and add them - helps give
 more-predictable-yet-still-random-and-rife-with-possibilities
 results - makes scenario balance easier.

Good points. Individual figure "skirmish" games haveto allow for the
variabilities between members of the unit or they are NOT skirmish
games.
Variable movement is good. I means you have that much less to count on -

entropy is at work - Murphy RULES! Chaos is your friend! Never assume
your
machine gunner won't fall down a well in the rush!

Prev: Re: What does FMA stand for? Next: RE: [FT] Star Destroyer