Prev: Re: FMA Skirmish test results Next: Re: [OT] Crimson Skies [CLEAN STAMP]

Goofy German Death Jeep

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 01:44:05 -0400
Subject: Goofy German Death Jeep

><<
>	ESPECIALLY in the 'States?  Try England with the L-85 or Germany
> with the G11.... :)  Try Canada with their Goofy German Death Jeep....
:) >>

>What was the Goofy German Death Jeep?
>
>Perry

The Canadian Forces replaced their "Jeeps" (the actual Jeep, a-la 1960's
and '70's vintage) with a vehicle called the Iltis.  It's a German
developed light truck/jeep thing with a VW motor.

They tip over easily, they are a unibody design so when they suffer
structural damage of any kind they're almost impossible to repair
(certainly so in the field), they were supposed to be amphibious, but we
didn't buy that option, they offer minimal protection to the crew from
either roll over or incoming fire/arty fragments/etc., their tires are
tall
but thin, so they sink into soft terrain, they don't work all that well,
think there were problems with the electrical system, and they are just
overall pretty feeble.	The Germans don't like theirs, and we don't like
ours.  One of my friends tipped his over twice, doing combat driving
training, and that was quite common on his course - for an "armoured"
recce
regiment...

Adrian

Prev: Re: FMA Skirmish test results Next: Re: [OT] Crimson Skies [CLEAN STAMP]