Prev: Re: FMA counters? Next: Re: FMA counters?

Re: Ground-Based Fighters (longish)

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:46:47 -0700
Subject: Re: Ground-Based Fighters (longish)

>3) When I did try to account for the hangar bay in the cost of an
outpost
>or planetary defense marker, then it not only limited the number of
points
>that could be spent on other weapon systems but also limited the total
>number of fighter squadrons that could be supported when it should have
>been scaleable.  Even worse, if a player did not purchase fighter
>squadrons, then the points spent on hangar space went to waste.

This does have some historical precedent. However, I think that your
suggestion below addresses it.

>The first is to purchase a minimal base station for each squadron; Mass
>10-11, fragile to weak hull integrity, mass 9 hangar bays, cost: 39-42
>points.  This can be either a ground base or an orbital station.

I prefer this option, as it allows your fighters to act as fighters
regardless of where they're based. What if some of your new variants
were
used to replenish a carrier. What happens to the extra support points.

>The second is a little more elegant and possibly more flexible, but
>provides no clear-cut mechanism for resolving attacks against the
support
>facilities.

Or what happens to those facilities when the fighters are relocated.

Those facilities are just as important as a carrier in battle - and
potentially just as large a target.

Schoon

Prev: Re: FMA counters? Next: Re: FMA counters?