Prev: Re: Marksmanship Next: Re: To GZG - Other Settings/Genres

Calm in battle

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:44:55 -0400
Subject: Calm in battle

Ken Winland Wrote:

Yup.  Most police snipers engage targets at 40m, rather than the
300+m that military snipers train for.	This is why in the last 5
years,
police snipers have been going to dedicated firing schools that meet
their
needs, rather than training with the military.

** Same reason they can get away with using rifles like the German G3
as a 'sniper' weapon. Their engagement ranges make the option
feasible. They don't need a $7K Steyr SSG-II. :)

	I have personally known police in Metro-Dade and Valousia
Counties who have been involved in firefights.	Most less than 8
meters,
with LOTS of shots exchanged.  With fewer hits.  And these were good
shooters.  As earlier posted in this thread, manuevering targets who
fire
back make life difficult.  Also a big component is nerves and
adrenaline.

** I'd agree here that how calm you are has more to do with how you
shoot. Supposedly Doc Halliday was incredibly calm and that was what
made him a deadly gunfighter, not lightning speed. A trooper who is
(if you could be) blase about being shot at is probably a better shot
with his rifle than a range champion who doesn't get shot at much and
is all excited about the flying lead.

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: Marksmanship Next: Re: To GZG - Other Settings/Genres