Prev: Marksmanship - longish Next: Re: Out of Ammo in FMA

Still more FMA!

From: "Jim 'Jiji' Foster" <jiji@m...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:44:08 -0700
Subject: Still more FMA!

>Questions first:
>
>    I read through the current batch of answers and the one question I
had
>from my first read that wasn't already answered is regarding REACTION
FIRE.
>Can any (and/or all?) models that haven't been activated make this out
of
>turn shot or is it only on a one for one basis?  And this is regardless
of
>any other action they performed in a previous turn?
>    Just to make sure I am clear lets say the model A on side 1, has
just
>been activated and wondes into sight of three models from side 2, could
each
>of them take a REACTION FIRE activation or could only one of them?
>
>   (I realize some common sense should prevail, but isn't part of
>playtesting assuming that the reader may have no common sense?)

Personally, if the characters are there and prepared, why not? This
allows for an ambush situation where some poor sod moves into a trap and
everyone unloads on him.

However, this down side of this is the Reaction Firing force has now
used many/all of it's activations for the turn and the other player can
proceed to maneuver and fire the rest of his troops more or less
unopposed until all his activations are complete.

I think it's a self-limiting mechanic: trading of the flexibility of
further action for one overwhelming burst of fire; realistic when a
troop (or commander) is panicky or needs to put out a 'punch' and can
only pray that the enemy can't follow up.

>    As for shotguns, I like the idea of taking a string and placing
it's

Personally, I'd say let's just make up a template.

>    However this may be more detailed than desired.  Perhaps something
like
>1 target at close range, any within 2" at Medium, and any withn 4" at
long
>range OR maybe having a close spread and a wide-spread weapon design
choice
>where one allows  1-target/2"/4" and the otehr allows 2"/4"/8" which
cost
>more (and why someone might make the range shorter when designing them,
>reduce cost  (and better emulate a sawed-off).  This one is much easier
>play than the string idea.

Better yet! None of those nasty templates! :)

But, I'd say instead of *allowing* additional targets, anything to the
specified distance (2"/4" or 2"/4"/8")left/right of the target point
should *be* a target. This prevents shotguns from being used
selectively: "Well, at that range everybody in the group is in the
radius of the shotgun. So I'm going to roll to attack the gunmen and
either side, but not the hostage in the middle."

Like St.Jon said, seems bloody obvious, but it's got to be spelled out..

Another thing, the effectiveness of a shotgun drops off pretty radically
with range. I'd say its impact die should drop off with range much like
a grenade's OR (this is simpler) the accuracy die drops by two types for
every range band (yes, the pattern covers a wider area, but there are a
lot fewer pellets in that area. 12ga 00 buck only has 12 pellets/shell
IIRC.)

Someone else had a question about Strength in relation to throwing
grenades, etc. Here's an idea: Strength is a multiplier...
Untrained: x0.5
Normal: x1.0
Hero/Stud: x1.5
Powered/Borg: x2.0
Special beasties, etc. x2.5 and up...

This multiplier could be applied to both grenade range, and HTH combat
damage (for purely physical weapons, but 'powered' things like
vibro-blades and lightsabers do damage more or less idependently of user
strength.)Note that an untrained character attacking another civilian
will have a much reduced chance to do fatal damage in one stroke, making
simulating riots and bar brawls fairly simple.

No ideas for costing, although I'm assuming x2.0 strength is included in
the cost of a PA suit. In general Normal stregth should be predominant.
Untrained doesn't necessarily mean weak, rather persons unused to
grenade throwing (or baseball) and HTH combat and don't know how to use
their strenth. Hero/Stud strength is for cinematic games, or to
represent Joe Recruit (Green/3) who was drafted from the major leagues;
hides like a rabbit and throws grenades from his hole, when sarge is
within 4" of him. :)

Haven't done any playtesting yet, but will (got some Star Wars and
Terminator ideas in mind.) Whadda ya think, sirs?

>is quite spectacular to say the least) and I took a look at the FMA
playtest
>rules and I was blown away, this is a wonderful set of rules.

Amen. It's got me thinking about blowing the dust off those 25mm figs
I've got laying about and maybe even painting a few...
---
Jim 'Jiji' Foster / jfoster@nospam.kansas.net / Jiji @ AnimeMUCK

Prev: Marksmanship - longish Next: Re: Out of Ammo in FMA