Prev: FMA Next: Re: Marksmanship

Re: Marksmanship

From: ScottSaylo@a...
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:05:08 EDT
Subject: Re: Marksmanship

In a message dated 7/13/99 10:30:49 PM EST, Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca
writes:

<< Point being I didn't make up the effective ranges that
 the Pentagon invented and Colt and other combat rifle designers these
 days sort of spec to. 400-500m is sort of the limit expected for
 modern small arms combat (with rifles anyhow, although greater ranges
 are possible). It'll be less than this in areas where visibility is
 limited. But even so, having a rifle with a max unaimed (by that I
 mean snap shots) range of 72m does seem a little bizarre to me... >>

People hit with rounds out past 100 meters or so are usually hit by bi
or tri
pod weapons if it was aimed at them, or a sniper round, or a round that
was
fl0oating by aimed (or unaimed) elsewhere and just really really wanted
home. aimed fire ranges and maximum effective ranges are far different
under
fire than they are on the testing range.

Prev: FMA Next: Re: Marksmanship