Prev: Re: [FMA] Comments and initial impressions Next: Re: [FMA] Points cost

[FMA] Tasks and rolling a one

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:14:07 +1200
Subject: [FMA] Tasks and rolling a one

St. St. St. Jon wrote (in FMA Draft):
>Whenever a character wishes to attempt something that may or may not
succeed, however, then an opposed roll is made between the character's
skill die type and a Task Difficulty die type that should be assigned by
the Umpire (or by agreement between the players if no umpire is
present).
If the character rolls higher than the task difficulty die score, then
the
character succeeds in the attempted action; if the character's roll is
less
than or equal to the difficulty die score then the attempt fails.
>[Option: if the character rolls a ONE, then this may be considered a
CRITICAL FAILURE, and something goes nastily wrong.]

I suggest that if a ONE is rolled, the character has a chance of a
critical
failure, not an automatic failure. To determine if there is a critical
failure, roll the character's quality dice against their Morale Level.
Rolling over their Morale Level indicates that the character merely
failed
for now, and can try again at the next opportunity, otherwise the
character
suffers the effects of a critical failure.

I've been testing this rule out using my PAT and Simply Melee rules, and
it's surprising how many times a ONE comes up on a FMA dice roll. This
rule
stops the battlefield from becoming littered with broken blades, jammed
firearms, and melted blasters.

Andrew Martin
Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Online @ 33,600 Baud!
-><-

Prev: Re: [FMA] Comments and initial impressions Next: Re: [FMA] Points cost