Prev: FMA SKirmish Next: Re: Complexity of FMA Skirmish

Complexity of FMA Skirmish

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 13:57:16 -0400
Subject: Complexity of FMA Skirmish

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@Smallworld.co.uk>
Subject: RE: FMA skirmish questions

>and RPG here...  So where does Jon and GZG (not to mention we fans
and
>players) want this to fall as far as detail level?

A possible design goal is *no* record keeping on paper, that is using
on table chits and markers only. Also avoid excessive detail that will
bog the play in exceptions and special cases as these have to be
remembered somehow.

It would also be nice if you could summarise the rules on a single
reference card.

I too thought about tracking ammo, but thought it perhaps too
detailed.
The idea of a task roll seems at about the right level of abstraction
IMO.

** Representing the other side: Some of us like our boards to look
nice and don't really like chits on the board either. We don't mind
using paper (it doesn't slow us up much). We paint figures and such so
as to look good - same reason we buy those (&*%!! expensive trees... -
and we like the battle pictures to lack coke cans, dice, chits, etc.
Mind you, we like a bit of record keeping - I don't think shooting for
no paper is necessarily what everyone wants.

And as for a single reference card - SG2 is close. It is a full
featured set of rules, but hits core points on one card.

I think what you want is this:
An FMA game that
i) fits into the overall history and feel of FMA world
ii) a game that easily allows play in a simplistic way (a la simple
fire combat, no ammo tracking, etc) but also allows play at a more
complex level for those who don't mind it (a la adv fire resolution,
ammo tracking, more detailed resolution for some stuff).

I think there is no reason we can't accomodate both camps. I'd play
one of the oft-depised GW games if I wanted a game with low rules, a
few die rolls, and simplistic tactics. Instead, I play SG2 because it
encompasses many more tactical options, and the rules can be anywhere
from simplistic to quite accurate or involved. The system nicely
accomodates either option. I think the same can be done with FMA. I
don't think Jon should ignore either player group... since they all
represent some market segment :)

Prev: FMA SKirmish Next: Re: Complexity of FMA Skirmish