Prev: Re: New to list Next: Re: FMA Skirmish MOS

Re: FMA skirmish questions

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 12:29:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FMA skirmish questions

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Ground Zero Games wrote:

> >I'd like to clarify a few things. (and yeah, I and a lot of others
can
> >probably settle these just fine between us using common sense)

Ah, people have started to post about FMA! Interesting phenomenon - jon
posts FMA to the list. List drops dead for two days, except for a couple
of vacumnheads (er, FT players) arguing. Then list lurches to life again
after we've all had 48 to absorb St St St Jon's latest miracle...

> >i) Can a figure fire with the same weapon in both actions ?	(In SG2,
you
> >cannot).
>
> Provided it isn't a single-shot weapon, I think yes.

so machine pistols, SMGs, SAWs... what about autopistols, assault
rifles,
and similar?

> >ii) Can a leader transfer to the same subordinate twice in an
activation ?
> >(In SG2, we don't allow this).
>
> Gut feeling says no, but is this an unneccesary restriction? (Given
that we
> want to keep the number of arbitrary and special rules to a bare
minimum)

> >iii) Is there any reaction test to enter or hold your ground in close
combat
> >?  Must you make a combat move to enter close combat ?  On the whole,
> >entering close combat is strictly easy in these rules (no morale, no
> >variable charge range, only reaction or overwatch fire to interrupt
the
> >charge, no follow ups or overruns).

We did a very small playtest last night (4 troops vs 4) and had the
attacker pass a straight Reaction test to start CC. Using combat move
sounds good as well.

> That's a bit of the rules I haven't finished writing yet! Remember,
these
> were released to the list in a very rough form, and many bits are
> incomplete. I think that the reaction tests as you mention are both
good
> ideas, as is the combat-move roll.
> >
> >iv) Is it a GM's job to determine when morale-type reaction tests are
taken
> >?  There are no guidelines for when a force might test to flee, etc.

Aside from the Suppression marker tests, the only other test we added
via
houserules was "All friendly characters within LOS of a casualty must
make
a Reaction test."

> One thing I need to put in is an overall "force morale" mechanism, as
well
> as individual reactions.
> >
> >v) Do you have to take an isolationtest on a transferred action ?
(eg. Sgt
> >Fiset (Veteran) is only 8" from Cpl Grundy and succeeds in
transfering an
> >action to him.  However, Grundy is Green and Isolated.  Does Grundy
have to
> >test to act	(ie. might he hesitate) ?)  I can see arguments both
ways;
> >Grundy is indeed isolated, but Fiset has had to overcome the sum of
the
> >motivations in order to transfer the action, so maybe a further test
is not
> >required.
>
> I'd say no further test required - the transfer of action overcomes
the
> isolation.
> >
> >vi) Thrown grenades refer to character strength die types, though
that topic
> >isn't covered anywhere else. (GM's judgement, I expect)
>
> Another case of the draft being cobbled together from incomplete
bits!!
> Put it on the list of things still to be done....

Along with "what happens when a grenade actually goes off?". We know how
to throw them & bounce them (mostly) but not how to make them go BANG!
:)

> >vii) What is the spread effect of a shotgun ?  What is the sustained
fire
> >ability of a Light SMG ?  They are a bit expensive, so significant,
but not
> >clearly spelled out. (This really needs some clarification)

Mmmm - is the SMG's ability what's needed to use both actions to fire?
Makes sense to me...

The shotgun...dunno...bonus Firepower die in Close range, because you're
more likely to splatter someone?

And back to grenades: how could we resolve ACR/GL combos?

> >viii) Area effect explosive damage weapons seem to have an accuracy
number,
> >and variable impact based on range from centre of impact.  The actual
> >description of how to resolve these is not given (though there's lots
on how
> >to place them and deviate them).
>
> And again....
> >
> >Nitpicks:  Couldn't find combat move defined, but referenced under
> >suppression in the open.  Dice for combat move vaguely referenced in
> >movement rate chart.
>
> Yes, one of the draft versions (from whihc the movement rules were
taken)
> didn't have combat moves, but I think we'll use them - they work well.

The whole system seems to work well - it's very fast, anyway. We did
that
4-per-side playtest in less than 45 minutes, with pauses to argue &
invent
stopgap rules!

Great rulesset, already! Just the holes...the
grenades-that-don't-go-off!!!

Brian (yh728@victoria.tc.ca)
-DS2/SG2/FR!/HOTT-
		   - http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -
-SciFi & Fantasy Wargaming House Rules, Photos, GWAutobasher, & more-

Prev: Re: New to list Next: Re: FMA Skirmish MOS