Prev: [OFFICIAL] FMA TEST MATERIAL - PART 2 (costings) Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] FMA TEST MATERIAL - PART 2 (costings)

Alternate Detached Elements Commentary

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:51:08 -0400
Subject: Alternate Detached Elements Commentary

Though I agree with your comment about detachments, I'd ask you a
couple of things:

1. Why would I not then always form a det? (Logic: I get a free
action!)

2. If I have a det out of LoS and it gets forced to make a morale
check, does it do so as if it were same morale, same leadership, same
size? Or does it check with an alternate leadership and as its size?
ie, if a squad of 9 guys with ldr-2 split into three groups of three,
and one is off in the bush and can't be seen (even if they are close),
and is attacked, do they check as leadership 2? For casualty purposes
are they considered to be a squad of 9 (meaning they could never lose
more men in one attack than they have left even if they are all
killed...) or as a squad of 3?

Your idea is interesting and probably quite viable. It's just if you
have one force getting 3 actions per squad (due to dets) and another
not, you might notice a profound disparity.

And I have to say I've been quite successful with any SG2 battle from
3 squads a side up to 15 + vehicles a side. Just the time you take to
play the game grows.

I've decided lately to treat my plt commander and the plt sgt. as
individuals who can freely attach themselves to any squad (a la
individual rules) and detach themselves to go to another squad at
will. The idea of a command squad tends to not really reflect my
experiences in the field. We always seemed to have 2-3 rifle sections,
with maybe a weap det, and the Lt. would attach himself to one of the
rifle sections with his radioman, and the plt sgt. would usually
command either another rifle squad or more often the weap det. But
they were mobile guys and didn't haul a squad around with them.

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: [OFFICIAL] FMA TEST MATERIAL - PART 2 (costings) Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] FMA TEST MATERIAL - PART 2 (costings)