Prev: Re: Carrier capacity Next: RE: [OFFICIAL] FMA playtest version question...

RE:A Question (hmmm that question)

From: "Jonathan White" <zzalsjfw@f...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 14:26:59 +0100
Subject: RE:A Question (hmmm that question)

>  Now, a question that some may wish to answer off list.  I have seen
>  comments about Games Workshop and their games.  I have never seen any
>  of their products where I live, but it is clear that a LOT of folk
>  either absolutely adore them, or utterly despise them.  Whats the
deal?
>   Just curious.
It goes back a long way into gaming history. When RPG gaming was really
just
started in the UK, GW were a small chain of shops that sold everybodies
games
- Avalon Hill, TSR etc etc etc. They also did a very good games magazine

(white Dwarf as was) and did a lot to maintain the growth of the hobby.

Over time, things changed. GW started developing their own games or
licencing
other people's stuff for manufacturing and sale by themself. They did
their
own figures for these games too. White Dwarf started to cover more
material
on these games and less on the 'competitions'.

Eventually, one dark day, GW decided they weren't going to deal with
other
people's games any more. White Dwarf only covered their products and you
had
to go elsewhere if you wanted something else. The problem was that GW
had
been doing such a good job, a lot of the 'somewhere elses' didn't exist
any
more. This didn't happen overnight or anything, but neveretheless a lot
of
people feel GW 'abandoned' the gaming community in favour of doing and
marketing it's own thing.

So, there are GW, doing their own thing and making and selling games.
But the
way they do it is interesting, from a business point of view. The whole
thing
- GW, the codex's, whatever - is designed to feedback on itself. A new
WD
comes out with some new rules. Those new rules are an advantage to play.
But
to if you play them, you might want to buy this new figure that goes
with the
rules. If you don't, someone else might. You don't want to be at a
disadvantage do you?

Then there's the basic thing - cost. GW charge more for their stuff than

anyone else. Their stuff is good, but the quality doesn't justify the
extra
cost. The problem with this is because they produce their own magazines
and
don't sell anyone elses stuff, you could carry on gaming thinking what
you
are paying *is* the going rate for what you get. The consumer isn't
presented
with any choice of manufacturer.
What the general gist of all this is subjectively, some people feel GW
is
exploiting their consumers.

I personally don't have anything against GW - I've played a lot of great

games over time that I bought from their shops when they sold other
people's
stuff. I play a couple of their games too. I *know* their stuff is
overpriced
but at least I am making an informed choice when I buy it. A lot of
people
don't feel that way. A lot of people feel GW really should think more of
the
people who were the ones who helped them when they were small. My
opinion of
that is that we all got something out of the relationship - they got
cash, we
got games - so I don't see GW 'owes' us anything.

The fact of the matter remains though that GW's actions within the UK
gaming
'community' probably didn't help it much.  GW did what a commercial
organisation will generally always do - put it's profits first.

Prev: Re: Carrier capacity Next: RE: [OFFICIAL] FMA playtest version question...