Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] FMA playtest version question... Next: Re: Carrier capacity

Re: More Fighter questions

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:25:30 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: More Fighter questions

On  9-Jul-99 at 09:00, Izenberg, Noam (Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu) wrote:
> Re: Activating "crated" fighters
>
> Roger Books:
> > Remember, space is a much more hostile environment than anything you
> > are used to dealing with, and all you need is one defect from the
> > manufacturer to kill the person flying the beast.  I wouldn't be at
> > all surprised to see an 8 to 10 hour warmup including live tests of
> > the engines....You don't just take a spacecraft out of mothballs and
> > throw
> it into
> > combat.
>
> This (and other comments) talk about truly "crated" - as in in a box
in
> several pieces - and never before assmbled or tested fighter. In that
case
> I'd agree, but If I were storing "replacement" fighters on-board a
carrier,
> they'd be well broken in and at least mostly assembled - the
cost/balance
> being storage space vs. activation time. Pack it as small as possible
in
> the space available, but still 1 mass per fighter. These are
subtleties,
> easily swallowed in PSB.

Then pay for them.  Come up with a reasonable rule and I won't complain.
How about:

You may have fighters in storage, they take up 1 space per fighter and
cost the same 20 per fighter group (or whatever the base fighter costs).
If necessary the fighter group may be brought online during combat, it
takes 1 DC roll per fighter to do this (IE, 6 for a group).  You must
also have a free bay in order to do this.

Sound fair?

Roger Books

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] FMA playtest version question... Next: Re: Carrier capacity