Prev: Re: [FT] Mecha Fighter Rules Next: Re: [FT] Mecha Fighter Rules

RE: [SG] Suggestion for Close Assaults

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 17:04:28 +1000
Subject: RE: [SG] Suggestion for Close Assaults

Hmm, the overwhelming response to my suggestions on Detachments now
prompts
me to spend a little more time publishing for ridicule something on
Close
Assaults.

Currently Close Assaults so strongly favour the defender that in only
vary
rare games nowadays do we see any close assaults actually occur except
with
PA units. This tends to see games often bogging down in shooting
competitions with both sides hoping to pick off a couple of casualties
here
and there, cause a CL Check and hope the 'defender' eventually runs away
out
of lack of interest!?. The other ludicrous thing we see is one lone
Elite or
Veteran trooper hurtling into the fray against a squad of 8 Regulars and
if
he rolls a half decent die the Regs CAN'T beat him! And lastly, if a
defender fails his CL Check and is forced to withdraw, he can then, if
he
hasn't activated this turn, turn around and give teh attacker who
occupied
his position a god awful burst of fire at close range.

What I propose here is a mod that I hope will encourage bold game play
for
attackers. Remebering that the Close Assault is not just representing
the
hand to hand aspect but also REALLY close small arms fire, throwing
helmets
and spitting etc.

Having said this my proposal is a SYSTEM for close assaults so please
read
all aspects and consider them in totality.

The System......

1.    Attacker declares a Close Assault. Conducts a Confidence Check at
Threat Level = CL; ie as the rules are currently CL - CO:0, CL - ST:+1
etc.If he passes then commences moving forward...

2.    Defender must make a CL Check at TL of +1 for Odds as current
rules
stand. His response is as per the current rules ie stand or withdraw.

3.    Attacker now rolls his Combat move dice for movement. If he
doesn't
make it on the first roll he is then not eligible to conduct a Follow Up
or
Over-run after combat.

4.    Defender ALWAYS has a chance at Defensive Fire: Defender must pass
Reaction Test as normal Rules with TL = to current Suppressions. If he
passes he may fire normal full squad fire as available counting range as
teh
mid point of the start position of Attacker. Range die is modified by 1
Range Band for each Suppression currently held.

5.    Attacker takes Confidence Test if casualties are inflicted and if
drops to Shaken or Lower then will cease the close assault and withdraw.

6.    If Attacker still presses attack he moves into contact and fights
with
a Quality shift 1 die UP from normal for the first round of combat.
Defender
fights with normal die UNLESS he is NOT in cover; in which case he
fights at
one die level lower (ie if he is charged and in the open he is at a
further
disadvantage...).

7.    Resolving combat from here is then same as normal rules.

OK, what we see is firstly the players are encouraged to act boldly and
'get
stuck in'. However the attacker should first suppress his target, the
more
suppressions the better. The Defender still has an advantage in that he
has
a chance to put some fire into the attacker as he's closing. Lastly, if
the
Defender is caught in the open he is going to be at a severe
disadvantage as
the Attacker has teh initiative and momentum in initiating his assault.

Any comments gratefully received......

Owen G

Prev: Re: [FT] Mecha Fighter Rules Next: Re: [FT] Mecha Fighter Rules