Prev: Fighters Next: Fighter Re-grouping

[SG] Alternate Detachments

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:10:16 +1000
Subject: [SG] Alternate Detachments

Here is someting I've been mulling over for a while now and intend
trying
out at the club on Saturday. A lot of people I know are dissatisfied
with
the current Detachments rules in SGII so after much deliberation I would
like to suggest the following mod's. Please give me any relevant
feedback.

Introduction:

The detachments should be used to represent the Section/Squad smaller
combat
groupings that mey be tasked to break away for a supporting
task/activity
from the parent squad/section. This represents the Brit/Aussie Gun
Group,
Rifle Group Scout Group or the US style Fire Teams. Currently SGII has
the
Det moving off for a task but the Squad Leader must expend a Successful
Communication each game turn to get teh Det to do anything! Even if an
Enemy
Squad is sitting 3" away in the open the Det can't fire unless this Comm
is
Successful. The Det should probably not move more than 100m or so from
the
parent Squad (for a number of reasons that people can argue offline if
they
wish). Also the Dets currently does not have to test for any morale
reasons
for the parent squad and vice versa.

Proposal:

The Squad may form a maximum of TWO Detachments; each Det has a minimum
of
TWO troops. This takes one Re-Org action on the part of the Squad.
Detachments will normally be required to stay within 12" of Squad
Leader. If
ONE Det is formed, the Squad has two Actions as normal and the Det also
has
ONE Action. If TWO Dets are formed then the Squad has ONE Action and
each
Det has ONE action, unless the Squad passes it's Action to one of the
Dets
in a Communication (Automatic if <6" and a Comm Roll if >6" separation).

Confidence Checks are conducted by the whole squad if within LOS of a
element that suffers a cause for a Conf Check. ONE roll for the whole
squad
and applied to those in LOS for the cause.

Close Assaults are conducted as normal; the whole squad or parts may
declare
a Squad close assualt but if the Conf Check is failed it uses up the
full
Activation for the Game Turn.

Conclusion:

This modified rule will work very well for Platoon sized games and I
think
will allow Mech Inf in particular to be played better. A good example is
that a Platoon or less can conduct reasonably 'life-like' fire and
movement;
Leapfrog or Caterplillar advance etc.

Those who claim it will slow down larger games with more than two
platoons
should consider that SGII is best played with only around 4 to 6 squads
side anyway. Anything larger and you should be looking at a DS or DS/SG
hybrid game anyway.

Fire Away,

Owen G

Prev: Fighters Next: Fighter Re-grouping