Prev: Re: Using FTFB interceptors Next: Re: Using FTFB interceptors

[LONG] Re: Webring & Geocities & RE: [OT] Pages on Geocities

From: devans@u...
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:54:08 -0500
Subject: [LONG] Re: Webring & Geocities & RE: [OT] Pages on Geocities

***
As SJ says don't panic yet - watch this space. AFAIK most stuff
is unofficial anyway, the FAQ is just a synthesis of posts to the
mailing list and my stuff is copyleft in general.
***

Too late. If you've watched me on this list, you know I ALWAYS
panic first!

***
We should at least fight before running... Ortillery target Yahoo
corporate office...execute
***

I prefer a running fight. I've sent Yahoo/Geocities requests for
info on how to close my site without agreeing to the TOS.

***
As far as I understand it the new rules from Yahoo do not apply until
you agree to them, I have yet to do so.
***

Unfortunately, you have to sign up for Yahoo, and by extension, accept
the new TOS. I've been pestering them for instructions on how to
edit my site and download all info(not everything has links) without
accepting the new terms, but talk about your non-responsive canned
letters...

Of course, this means acceptance even if you just want to correct or
update info.

***
well, in the interests of humanity (and this list in particular), i'd be
happy to help with this sort of thing for anyone who wants to move
providers. generally,
***

Tom, a scholar and a gentleman!

Look all, first let me point out that I'm usually doing the Miss Manners
things about keeping on topic. Also, I can see that in their position
they may state that they are protecting themselves as they feel that
merely putting sites up constitutes 'publishing', that the cute little
redirects that Geocities loves could be construed as 'use, reproduce,
modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from,
distribute, perform and display such Content (in whole or part)
worldwide
and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or
technology
now known or later developed', *whew*. Finally, I confess that there
is little that is on my site particular to the support of GZG.

However, I am of the opinion that Yahoo/Geocities is protecting
themselves
in the wrong way, that GZG's bread-and-butter is the fan base, including
contributions, and that a little over-reactive verbage is necessary from
time to time when a large corp starts taking it's clients for granted.

Currently in orbit over Yahoo corporate offices is an ESU SDN being
prepared as the biggest fireboat that internet warfare has seen!

Commander, set the controls not to detonate til sensors detect the
flashing
of their cursors...

For those agreeing or not, I'd suggest further discourse directly,
however,
private or public, let the flame guns begin!

The_Beast

Prev: Re: Using FTFB interceptors Next: Re: Using FTFB interceptors