Prev: Re: That Flat top carrier topic :) Next: Comouflage sourcing!

Re: Replies to some recent postings! - Longish though

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:07:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Replies to some recent postings! - Longish though

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Brian Burger wrote:
>
> > 4. If you want to paint camo, but want something good looking and
> > maybe even with a flavor for the troop type you are painting, pick a
> > historical scheme.
>
> The late-WW2 German army produced some very interesting camo schemes -
> especially the SS units, for some reason. Splotch & tigerstripe
> schemes,
> 'ambush' schemes, load of others. Find a good color book of late-WW2
> German vehicles (Osprey or similar) and it'll provide you with loads
> and
> loads of camoflauging inspiration & information. Most of my troops in
> DS2
> & SG2 are done in camo schemes inspired by late-WW2 German
> paintjobs.
>

> -> Got any pics? My walkers and tanks are done in a German scheme, and
> my NSL infantry shall soon (relatively) be done in that WW2 SS Splotch
> pattern you are talking about. I use that cam scheme at paintball, and
> I love it.

Actually, I do have pics - see the Gallery on my website - I've also got
another roll of film in the camera right now, to expand on the Gallery &
stuff.

The paint scheme on my 15mm NAC figs & vehicles is dark green base, with
long brown stripes & short, narrow black stripes & dots. It looks pretty
good. This is the most obviously ww2 inspired camo scheme, but none of
them are based on any specific patterning - just 'inspired by'...

The big '15mm' Irregular PA & vehicle is black based, with broad
green/grey areas bordered by narrow grey lines; the PA is black with
green/grey & grey blotches. The tank's pattern is almost more dazzle
patterning than straight camo, but it looks good too.

My third force (no photos yet) is brown based with dark green blotches &
stripes; most of the vehicles for that force are just plain green - the
green for this force is dark, with a slight blue shade to the green. It
looks /almost/ like the colour the Russians use on their vehicles.

> ----
> From: Gareth Perkins <G.T.Perkins@exeter.ac.uk>
> Subject: [SG2]Questions
>
>   Just a couple of quick questions about Stargrunt II.
>
>   First off, how do you people deal with buildings and
> such? To scale they should be about the size of 1/300th
> scale buildings (1" = 10m) but that seems silly when the
> models are 25mm high...
>
> -> Brian Burger has some good bunker rules which give some idea how to
> handle these. You eventually have to decide to play in figure scale,
> even with 60m long APCs and 200m big buildings...

My buildings (which are in a couple of the photos in the Gallery) are
built to figure scale (15mm); the largest of them is about 5"x5"; most
of
the rest are 4"x4" or less, down to about 2"x2" so far.

Height-wise, they're all about 1", give or take. That big warehouse (the
5x5 one) is about 2" high; the one two storey building is about 2" high
as
well, total.

For measuring dead zones behind buildings - esp. for shooting over a low
building from a taller one - we measure the distance from the wall of
the
structure that the firing squad is in to the farthest wall of the
building
along LOS - this distance then becomes the 'dead zone' out from the
farthest wall of the lower building.

Later,

Brian (yh728@victoria.tc.ca)
-DS2/SG2/FR!/HOTT-
      - http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/games.html -
-SciFi & Fantasy Wargaming House Rules, Photos, GWAutobasher, & more-