Prev: Re: Another Camoflage Question Next: RE: Maybe OT, but since ST is brought up...

RE: Star Trek designing

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:13:08 -0400
Subject: RE: Star Trek designing

If you want to base your trek on Classic Trek, then I'd do a couple
things.

1) Forget missiles and fighters
2) Convert Screens to Shields by making them capable vs the various
shield
ignoring weapons (e.g. Torps)
_or_ Convert Armor to shields by enabling Damage control to repair armor
(something like one box on a 5-6 with +1 to roll per additional DamCon)
Shield generator system still needed on ship - something like 2 mass 6
points.
3) Since almost all Classic Trek Combat is one on one, or at the most
few on
few, (fleet actions are for TNG and DS9, and I never liked the way ST
did
them) Increase the "resolution" of FT by assuming one mass is actually
half
that in FB. That enables Heavy Cruisers to have Mass 160-180, Destroyers
be ~90. This allows you to put 3 torps and 6 phasers on a CA. Ignore
this
rule if you want large fleet actions.

Plus here are some other assorted thoughts about the trek universe in
FT.

I'd make the federation CA Strong Hulled, to proxy the various
non-combat
systems on a Fed ship. Phasers would be class 1 and 2 beams. I'd give
most
Fed ships thrust 6.
I'd make the Klingon D7 Avg hull, and around 10% smaller than a CA.
Disruptors could be similar to a concentrated, limited Class 2 barage -
only, 3 beam dice at 12-24, 6 at 0-12", cost 6 mass 2 (Or Tim's KV Mass
Driver idea. I'd give most Klingon ships Thrust 4 with KV turning - both
less and more maneuverable than the Feds.

Fed ships are better shielded than Klingons, so eitehr Shield -2 vs.
Shield
1, or if using the 'armor as shield' idea above, Feds would have more of
it.

Romulans would have Thust 2, small, Strong or Super structure ships with
cloak and a singe heavy seeking weapon. The Plasma torp would be
something
like the mass of a wave gun, travel like an MT missile, have a high
initial
damage (like 6d6 striaght) that reduces by one die every turn.	Given
the 15
minute turn duration, Roms could uncloak, fire and declaok during a
single
turn, though opponencts could fire on them - reduce damage by 1/2 to
2/3.

Most any ship could "divert all power" to weapons or shields or thrust.
Weapons - No thrust, no shields, beam wepons act as 1 class higher.
Torp/Disrputor dice at +1
Shields - No thrust or weapons, shield strength doubles for turn.
Thrust - No weapons or shields, thrust increases by 50% (round down) for
turn.

Core systems would pe pretty important, though failures would generally
mean
weapons/screens/thrust are unusable or handicapped for one or more
turns.

Noam

Prev: Re: Another Camoflage Question Next: RE: Maybe OT, but since ST is brought up...