Prev: Campeign Next: Re: PT boats & Battle Riders

Re: FT: Star Trek designing

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 02:09:34 -0400
Subject: Re: FT: Star Trek designing

John Leary wrote:

> I had a rule added because I was in a campaign with one of the
> better known playtesters.   I was Klingon and stripped Komania
> of 250 fighters with 2 D-7s and 4 D-6s.
> The HOW TO:
>      I cranked the ECM up to 6, and the fighters could not get a
> lock on my ships.   With a series of passes, I beamed the pilots
> aboard the ships (dropped the aft shield in passing) , and had
> my security teams 'take care' of any problems.   I enjoyed it!
>
> Bye for now,
> John L.

Gads!  Sounds clever!  Was the other player peeved?

What was the rule?  (I never used ECM, we always wanted to get down to
trashing the other guy's ships...)

About the fanciest thing I ever did in SFB, was to trash a Klingon F5
with a Gorn DD!

For that battle,  was supposed to be the first battle of a very simple
campain.  (Every battle, you could spend a few more points on
improvements.  Hehehe, we never got to the rest of it...)

He upgraded his P2's to P1's, and upgraded his Drone rack so it could
fire every turn.  I just bought an additional G torp. (I assumed it
would have the same arc as the the original.)  I then spent the whole
game (about 4 turns) traveling at about speed 4. (this gave me a turn
mode of 1 -- I could allways keep my #1 shield towards him!) and
specificly reenforced the #1 shield.  He was using "Traditional Klingon
Tactics".
(Basiclly, charge across the board and trash the plasma armed ship,
before it could fire.  If I had charged into battle like that, my ship
would have been trashed!)

I used long-ranged phaser shots to kill his drones.  We exchanged phaser
fire every turn.  He spent the game travelling at speed 10+  When we
closed on turn 3, I fired one plasma torp into his #6 shield.  It blew
the shield away, and did several internals.  He realized he was in
danger, and proceeded to whip around me at 2 hexs distance.  I fired my
other torp on turn 4, blowing out his #5 shield, and doing more
internals.  At that point, he dumped everything into warp, and left the
map before I could recharge my plasma torps.

After the battle, he was amazed.  His ship was a total cripple, and mine
had only lost 4 boxs on the forward shield.  Those little Gorn ships can
be a real bear to "Traditional Klingon Tactics".

Donald Hosford

Prev: Campeign Next: Re: PT boats & Battle Riders