Prev: NOVAGCON 1999 web page updated Next: Re: from John Atkinson

Re: Starbase assault

From: brianq@f... (Brian Quirt)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 23:15:23 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Starbase assault

>This sounds like a potentially common problem with a fleet vs a
starbase
>(i.e. it could be hard to balance the first time you try it). Derek was
>involved in a scenario which was an assault on a starbase while back
now
>and balance appeared to be the problem there too. Basically there was a
>starbase based on that from the MT rules vs about 6000 pts (maybe it
was
>8000?) of FB ships (mainly NSL and ESU I think). The problem was that
the
>beyond a couple of threshold checks on one sector (a MT missile barge
had
>let loose) the fleet did little beyond a few dents here and there. The
>scenario was a good idea I just think there needed to be a few more
ships
>or a slightly smaller starbase if the fleet was to have a real chance
of
>taking the place, either that of the fleet should have taken some
dedicated
>trrop carriers and had some MAJOR boarding actions... guess we'll know
for
>next time.

This is the main reason behind the fleet organization I use. Ships are
usually divided into Battle Groups, each of which may contain

-Strike Wings (led by a DN or SDN, w/ assorted escorts)
-Assault Wings (more on this later)
-Combat Wings (led by a CE or CH)
-Command Wings (ECM, Couriers, Command Ships)
-Scout/Patrol Wings (guess)

Assault Wings are designed for ship v. immobile installation combat, and
they tend to contain lots of MT missiles (especially EMP/Needle
missiles),
heavy guns (in case they can hit from out of range), SML on smaller
ships
(it's easy enough to guess where the Starbase will be next turn).
Usually
the Combat and Strike wings will engage enemy ships while the assault
wings pick away at the station, destroying its weapons/systems from as
far
away as possible, and then moving in to pound it into submission).

Just one interpretation,
Brian Quirt

Prev: NOVAGCON 1999 web page updated Next: Re: from John Atkinson