Prev: B5 Crusade Ireland/UK news Next: Re: Another Camoflage Question

Re: Another Camoflage Question

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 17:03:17 -0400
Subject: Re: Another Camoflage Question

At 09:22 PM 6/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>***
>How much do cammo schemes vary between different vehicles
>in the same force?
>***
>
>I would think it would be uncommon, but you could always use
>a functional equivalent of PSB, the psuedo-history.
>
>'The larger units had been kept in reserve areas where, in
>powered down status, they utilized the advantages of full
>camouflage paint, while smaller front line units, constantly
>in action, and therefore whose main threat was electronic
>detection, had reverted to solid paint for simplicity of
>maintenance...'
>
>Of course, the example uses the logic in SJG's Ogre Miniatures
>book, which many on the list view askance, but you can work
>out your own rational...

My feeling on such matters has always been this: Paint them as you like,
and then come up with an excuse to justify it afterwards.  In this
particular instance, there was something about the aesthetics of
painting
different units in different ways (along with the fact that this was the
THIRD DAMN PAINTJOB, because none of the others had looked right) that
led
to my asking in this instance.

That, and because the list had been so quiet yesterday.

In the end, I discovered something that works on both of them, as well
as
the APCs.

Base of Cel-Vinyls "Grayed Orange-Yellow 20" -- a dark tan.
Ink with Citadel Brown ink.
Drybrush "down" -- along the sides of the tank, always towards the skirt
--
with Grayed Orange-Yellow 15, a slightly lighter shade of tan.
Do broad, wavy stripes from one side to the other, using Grayed

It looks a lot better than it probably sounds.	A nice desert cammo kind
of
look.

>I rather like:
>'The smaller units, painted blaze orange, would act as staked
>lamb, drawing the enemy into the killing zone, for the
>camouflaged heavies' hunters. This was not a popular tactic
>with junior officers commanding those light units.' ;->=

There's something to be said for painting units in as obnoxious a
fashion
as possible, to draw enemy fire all out of proportion to their actual
threat.  I always meant to name one of my Ogres the "Thomas Covenant"
simply because one of the guys that I gamed with hated the books so
much.
He never would have fired at anything else, as long as that thing was
still
moving.  Even if it was on his side....

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: B5 Crusade Ireland/UK news Next: Re: Another Camoflage Question