Prev: Re: FT: mini purists, "new" weapons Next: Re: [SG2] AAR: Escape from Tangana - Long Tan

FT: beam class sizes - smaller is better?

From: Glen Bailey <Glen.Bailey@s...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:21:19 -0400
Subject: FT: beam class sizes - smaller is better?

I would think having a high thrust factor would mean you want
more little weapons.  You can get in close and stay close
(a "knife" fight).  I'd rather have 8 class 1s, 360 degree
arcs for free, than 1 class 4 with 1 arc; then stick onto
the enemy like glue.  Plus one threshold check isn't going
to knock off your main weapon.	And if fighters or missiles
bother you those class 1s can knock a few off.

My "combat" experience is limited to two lopsided combats
(understrengthed NAC vs NSL, darn those things can take a
pounding.. and missing with pulse torpedoes don't help).
Can anyone with more experience give their views on big
beams vs more smaller beams?

Glen

How about the Alarishi _Celerity_ class BC's, with Thrust 8 and a
couple of
Class 4's?
2 Class 3's do 2d at 24-36", none from 36-48", whereas the Class 4,
same
mass, does 2d at 24-36" and 1d from 36-48".  Now, if you let him get
inside
24", you have a problem--that's why they're Thrust 8.
I agree with you, though, that Class 2's are better than Class
3's--but it
depends on your thrust.

Prev: Re: FT: mini purists, "new" weapons Next: Re: [SG2] AAR: Escape from Tangana - Long Tan