Prev: Re: Unpainted Figures Next: Re: [OT] Waterloo.

Re: [OT] Waterloo.

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 11:18:03 +1000
Subject: Re: [OT] Waterloo.

ScottSaylo@aol.com wrote:

> I also usually play the Brits, but once had the distinct pleasure to
break
> the British right at Waterloo in an abbreviated game (the premise was
the
> Guard was tied up against the Prussians and the Emperor had to make do
with
> what he had). It was amazing to see the Highlanders pushed back (after
a shit
> load of French casualties and  and fold up the British.

It came pretty close to that in the original too. Read "The Napoleonic
Wars" by Sgt Thomas Morris of the 2nd Batallion, 73rd (Highland)Regt.
(Ed by John Selby, Longmans Military Memoirs 1967).

I quote:
"Hitherto, we had only acted against cavalry, but now Napoleon was
leading up his infantry, in masses: and as our brigade was literally cut
to pieces, the remnant was formed into line four-deep. But the French
infantry, that were now advancing, was so overwhelming in numbers, that
we were forced to retire; while doing so, General Halkett received a
musket ball through the cheek, and falling from his horse, was taken to
the rear.
The fire from the French infantry was so tremendous that our brigade
divided, and sought shelter behind some banks...
The only captain we now had left, invited us from the shelter of the
bank, to follow him in an attack on about three thousand of the French
infantry. About a dozen of us accepted the invitation; and such was the
destructive fire to which we were opposed, that we had not advanced more
than six or seven paces, before every one of the party, except me and my
brother, were either killed or wounded. We carried the captain back to
the shelter of the bank, where we found our first major [Dawson Kelly],
who had not been with us during the day, having been attached to the
staff. He ordered the captain to be taken to the rear, and caused us to
be mustered. We numbered two officers and seventy men; the batallion,
when we entered the field the first day, had twenty-nine officers and
five hundred and fifty men..."

In retreat, 85% casualties, outnumbered 20:1, and pinned by enemy fire.
Just not broken, and willing (though unable) to attack... It's difficult
finding ANY wargames rules for any period that would allow for this
while retaining a modicum of verisimilitude.

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: Unpainted Figures Next: Re: [OT] Waterloo.