Prev: Re: BFG Next: [FT] fighter models

Re: An introduction AND EVEN AN ON TOPIC BIT!

From: agoodall@i... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 14:42:49 GMT
Subject: Re: An introduction AND EVEN AN ON TOPIC BIT!

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 21:08:47 -0400, Jon Davis <davis@albany.net> wrote:

>Let's see...  There was Starguard, Space Marine, Alien Space, and the
Star
>Fleet Battle Manual.  All the same early games.  I brought Alien Space
with
>me to the first GZG-ECC Convention and nobody recognized it.

That's because I wasn't there! *S* I remember seeing ads for it in early
magazines. I didn't buy it (although a local store has Alien Space and
the
Star Fleet Battle Manual). I DID buy the WW2 aircraft game with the
similar
game engine. It works, after a fashion, too...

>Triplanetary
>was my first science fiction game and it saw heavy use.  The black box
>Traveller set is still in my collection as well as the Striker rule set
and
>various editions of the Ogre rules.  I wish I'd bought more Ogre
figures
>when they were available.

I didn't buy Triplanetary... I bought Imperium. I also have the black
box
Traveller (with books 1 through 9), Striker and Ogre. I'm sort of so-so
on
Ogre these days. I wish I had more of the figures to use with DS2, but I
played an Ogre game two years ago at GenCon and found that it's just a
TINY
bit too simplistic for me today...

>I used to own Sorcerer too with the colored magic and units.  The
colors would
>determine the combat strength of your units on a given hex.   I think I
sold it
>in an Internet auction along with SPI's War of the Ring.

I never bought it but always considered it every time I saw the box in a
local
store.

And to answer someone else's question:

I'm 36 (37 in December) and yes I first started out with some version of
Grant's books... I played with Airfix Napoleonics and Airfix and
Matchbox WW2
(still have many of the latter...).

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/