Prev: Re: Schoon's Simpler Sensors Next: CON: Toronto Trek

Re: BFG

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:02:36 -0700
Subject: Re: BFG

Funny you should ask that, I just got three packs of frigates and
destroyers. Lessee...

First, the bases. Clear plastic, with stands of varying lengths (I do
this myself for effect). the bases are low, flat half-lenses. They're
different anyway. I like 'em.

Now the casting quality of the miniatures is a little lower than I
expected. There's more flash than I expect from GW, which isn't much.
There isn't too much, but it's noticeable. Mold lines are visible on
flat areas and affect nowhere that you can't use a file freely. Some
extra lead is cast in with the figure and will need to be removed with
a blade as the joins are solid. This material provides All of the sprue
lead joins with flat areas that can be filed smooth. All detail is
deep, crisp and very well formed.  Offhand, I can say that the only
better cast figs I can think of were from GHQ, and are also more
expensive I give 'em an 'A' on manufacture. Less work with a blade gets
them an A+.

The miniatures are designed as vertical fins with narrow hulls attached
forwards of the fin. The style is vary streamlined but with mechanical
patterning as detail rather than an organic look. They might pass for
old Minbari ships from the last war, or perhaps a minor Minbari allied
race or use them for your own designs. They'd look real funny next to a
Shar'lin. The frigates and destroyers are sized a bit smaller than an
AoG Vor'chan. I expect the cruisers will be better sized to mix into
B5W. However, these small, cheap ships (about $3 apiece) should fit in
very well with the forthcoming Fleet Action scale figures.

At 4:37 PM -0700 6/11/99, Neil wrote:
>Just out of curiousity do the Eldar ships look anything like like
Minbari
>ships ? I'm always looking for alternative B5 figures.
>Thanks, Neil
>
>----------
>> From: Aaron Teske <ateske@HICom.net>
>> To: gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
>> Subject: Re: BFG
>> Date: Thursday, June 10, 1999 7:41 PM
>>

>> At 04:17 PM 6/10/99 GMT, John Crimmins wrote:
>> >Along with the order, I got a copy of their mailorder magazine,
which
>had
>> >pictures of Imperial Transports (which look just like Imperial
>destroyers),
>>
>> Heh.  I *definitely* like the character of the old Space Fleet minis
for
>> freighters.	The Gothic is great, and the Castellan shield ship
>>serves as
>> great double for a medium freighter.  No real reason for the
freighters
>> have the dippy prow....
>>
>> >and the new Ork ships.  The ork stuff is...okay, I guess.  Not my
>>cup of
>
>> >tea.
>>
>> Yeah, that's about my feelings on the matter, but some people like
'em.
>> Actually, there's one guy at the game store who is pretty die-hard
>> anti-GW... but absolutely *loves* the Ork ships. <shrug>
>>
>> >This reminds me (as I ramble) of a question: Does anyone know if
>>the new
>BFG
>> >eldar ships are symmetrical, or do they only have the one sail
sticking
>out
>> >of their side.  It's damned hard to tell from the pictures that I've
>seen
>>
>> Whether or not they're symmetrical depends greatly on your pinning
>>and/or
>> gluing abilities. ^_-  But yes, there are two lower wings on most
Eldar
>> ships, and the other ships have just the top & bottom, nothing to the
>side.
>>
>> I do like the new Eldar designs, though they're different enough
>>from the
>> old that using them in the same fleet doesn't work well.  So I guess
>get
>> two fleets of different ships.... ^_^
>>
>> Later,
>>
>>					Aaron Teske
>>					ateske@HICom.net
>> LAUNCH DAY!
>> A totally unprovoked attack on peaceful neighbors. Must be the race
>> file. Does strange things.
>>		--Rick Kucejko, on the War Monger PRT in Stars!

Michael Carter Llaneza
Devolution is very real to me.
http://www.flash.net/~maserati/

South Africa Quantico Clinton supercomputer kibo Legion of Doom PLO
Serbian
cracking terrorist colonel [Hello to all my fans in domestic
surveillance] Switzerland North Korea Ft. Meade fissionable ammunition
23 Mossad cold fusion  embassy Bohemian Grove
see http://www.gn.apc.org/duncan/interception_capabilities_2000.htm

Prev: Re: Schoon's Simpler Sensors Next: CON: Toronto Trek