Prev: Re: An introduction - Wargame, meet significant other. . . Next: Re: An introduction warning

Re: An introduction - Wargame, meet significant other. . .

From: ScottSaylo@a...
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 17:05:47 EDT
Subject: Re: An introduction - Wargame, meet significant other. . .

In a message dated 6/8/99 3:52:54 PM EST, lesack@unixg.ubc.ca writes:

<<
 First, read science fiction books and talk about how good they
 are. They must actually be good, otherwise it won't work. I
 started with Michael Marshall Smith then worked my way up to
 David Drake. Do this gradually. Overkill will destroy any
 possibility of success.

 Play card and board games with her. Lament how simple and boring
 they are. Comment on the beauty of a Risk board, but how ugly the
 plastic pieces look.

 "Wouldn't it be cool to play Risk/Axis and Allies/ Monopoly with
 attractively painted miniatures"

 Do that. Comment on how dull the games are.

 Buy a simple miniatures game. Then a more complex one. Be
 prepared to explain the rules without her having read them before
 hand. Always have two armies, and ask her what sort of colour
 scheme (at least) one should have. When you go to buy minis,
 start off by showing her two (tasteful) ones that you like. Ask
 her to pick one.(At this point, don't buy both of them).

 Soon, she will go into the store and browse around with you.
 However, this doesn't mean she will actually buy anything; you
 will have to pay for everything. This is easily tempered by the
 fact that:

  a) She is playing wargames with you, and now knows the
 difference betweeen a squad and platoon, and knows what SAW and
 MLRS means.
  b) You would have bought all this stuff anyway, so if she
 actually paints, buys models, etc, it's a bonus.

 Voila.

 I'm now in the process of introducing my wife to RPGs. This is a
 slightly more difficult task, because RPGs have traditionally
 been (in the media, at least) associated with freaks and
 quasi-stable individuals. I'm helped by the fact that one of my
 friends wants to play, and he's an engineer, and extraordinarily
 logical.

 See? Simple.

 Paul >>

I am most impressed. My wife went along with D&D and Rune Quest but
draws the
line at anything that has to do with real (play) war. You must be
careful
though that she doesn't see these posts and realize you have so
skillfully
altered her behavior - she'll get even if she ever knows the truth.

Prev: Re: An introduction - Wargame, meet significant other. . . Next: Re: An introduction warning