Prev: Re: Starmap Generators (Was : Hard SF Roleplaying) Next: Re: Schoon's Simpler Sensors

Re: [Long]General Tactics? Re: [FT] FSE-tactics

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:27:50 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [Long]General Tactics? Re: [FT] FSE-tactics

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> When Thomas Anderson announced a GZG chat, I went on and we covered a
few
> germaine topics.

that all seemed to work fine, btw (modulo some random person with a
japanese name starting a conversation with me under the impression i was
someone else, but such is the net ...). who's taken charge of fixing up
schedules?

> Tom sez: that sounds like half a corral.
>
> I'd never heard the term as a flight manuever,

i should point out that i wasn't thinking of aeroplanes at all, but of
wagons as used by settlers going west in cowboys + injuns time: you
know,
they'd round up the wagons when the indians attacked. okay, so that's
not
a corral, but a corral is a round thing you see in cowboy flicks so my
brain just latched on to it.

also, since the wagons wouldn't move, and had neither tail nor fore
guns,
it's really utterly different.

> Likewise, I'd like to hear about fleet deployments.

well, being a studious follower of fashion: concentrate! unless you're
facing SMs, perhaps. if you group ships, group ships of the same thrust
so
that they can maneuver together without leaving some ships with idle
thrust. have some small, fast groups as outriders some way away from the
main body of the fleet, to keep the enemy on his toes.

mind you, i usually lose ...

tom

Prev: Re: Starmap Generators (Was : Hard SF Roleplaying) Next: Re: Schoon's Simpler Sensors