Prev: Re: HKP and the Kra'Vak Next: Re: Papa Smurf hacked my site!!!!

Re: OT: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games...

From: John C <john1x@h...>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 13:48:34 GMT
Subject: Re: OT: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games...

>Hello:
>	I'm seriously thinking getting back into role-playing,
particularly a
>hard sci-fi RPG.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a good system.  I
>have narrowed it down to a few likely candidates:
>
>	Alternity
>	GURPS (Either Space or Traveller)
>	Marc Miller's Traveller
>
>	I am looking of a system that is simple and isn't bogged down
with over
>mechanics.  Does anyone have any suggestions.
>--
>Later,
>Mark A. Siefert

I'd recommend GURPS (Either Space, Traveller, or Terradyne if you can
find
it) for background.  That's what I generally buy GURPS products for
these
days.  For a system, if you really want quick and simple, check out Over
The
Edge.  The game is certainly NOT hard SF (Surreal urban horror, if I'm
going
to try to sum it up) but the mechanics are great.  If you want to check
them
out, look at:

http://www.black-gate.com/thundarr/index.htm

For a (sigh) Thundarr the Barbarian game that uses the OTE mechanics.
Atlas
gave the owner of the page permission to post the rules, so they are
there
to be considered.

One last thing....  The various alien races in White Wolf's Trinity game

seem to be very well thought out.  The background is a little too
Psi-heavy
to be considered hard SF (although George Alec Effinger is writing the
game
fiction, which is a recommendation in *my* book.), but I like it.  I
haven't
been following things for the past year, so I'm not sure how they've
developed things, but they were off to a good start with the Qin and the

Coalition.

John Crimmins		john1x@hotmail.com	 johncrim@voicenet.com
	http://www.voicenet.com/~johncrim/index.html
     Home of "Destroy All Monsters!" and other nonsense.

Prev: Re: HKP and the Kra'Vak Next: Re: Papa Smurf hacked my site!!!!