Prev: Dirtside II rules eval Next: Attachments, was Re: Dirtside II eval (fwd)

Dirtside II eval - Oerjan Ohlson

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 22:01:24 +1200
Subject: Dirtside II eval - Oerjan Ohlson

Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:
>However, DSII fits the weapons being designed today (and thus may come
into use in 5-10 years) pretty well.
	Yes!

>Some of those weapons - the Strix mortar grenade, for example - are
already deployed but have never been used in combat.
	Did you really mean to say that? It has a grenade warhead? An
anti-infantry capability? Fascinating! Please don't tell us anymore if
it's
secret, OK?

>Of course, this means that DSII is probably as good a simulation of
23rd
century ground combat as Napoleonic rules are for simulating modern
fighting <g>
	Most probably, nano-tech goops and mind control devices on the
battlefield, with nano-tech "diseases" and memetic viruses to ruin the
home-front's morale.

>Since very few weapons count all colours I don't see this as a problem.
	ZAD/ADS, LAD, DFFG at medium range, and MDC/HKP at close range.

>While I'm not allowed to quote solid figures, I can safely say that
target-seeking munitions like the Strix need far less than 14 rounds to
kill an AFV (including tanks) - unless of course the vehicle is
protected
by ECM/camouflage or point defence.
	We can guess that your goal is one Strix, one destroyed AFV.
It's only
reasonable!

>DSII allows neither to stop incoming arty, but it should IMO.
	In my rules (on my site) for firing GMS via artillery, ECM, PDS
and ZAD
are all effective.

>>	   E)	 Counter Battery: CBR data goes into main data system,
usable by anyone, not  just one fire unit.
>Agreed. If you want to use a central database rather than a CBR
attached
to the vehicle you'd need an extra communications roll, though, and the
CBR
vehicle itself should always be vulnerable to enemy action (much like an
ADS vehicle). (This is the main reason why you
*don't* want the CBR anywhere close to your batteries!)
	That's right. I've got rules on my site to cover this.

>There should be a way to scale morale effects up to the company level
at
least (and maybe to the battalion/task force level as well) - with the
good
communications in use in DSII everyone in the force will hear private
Jones
screaming when his guts are ripped out by shrapnel, not just his closest
buddies...
	I get the feeling that battlefield AI's will just quickly switch
off the
voice transmitter on private Jones' HUD, when his sensors indicate
massive
trauma, thus limiting the spread of bad morale. But your opinion may
vary.

>>[AA defence]
>Yes and yes. So should the ordnance used by aircraft, however - and the
supply of AA missiles should be limited, preferrably handled like
artillery
munitions (ie, when they're fired, they're gone).
	That's one thing I need to work on, a missile ammunition
limitation rule.

Andrew Martin
Wondering if guessing is revealing secrets,
when the bad guys can guess too.
Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Online @ 33,600 Baud!

Prev: Dirtside II rules eval Next: Attachments, was Re: Dirtside II eval (fwd)