Prev: BFGothic- Review Next: Re:[EFSB/B5W] Vorchan stand mounting

Re: FT Stealth

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 20:04:25 -0700
Subject: Re: FT Stealth

Here we go again ;-)

>Stealth: is to keep you from being seen in the first place.  Powering
down
>your ship helps a lot; having systems powered but not in use (such as
>drives, screens, fire controls) helps a little.  Making an active
sensor
>scan ruins your stealthiness.	Bigger ships are less stealthy than
smaller
>ships.

OK - fine, though ship size may be insignifigant compared to other
factors.
Emissions are the key, not size.

>Sensors: Gathers information, ranging from:
>a) none--"there's nothing out there"

Perhaps this should read "We have no idea" as they don't know what's
there.

>b) bogey--"we can't pin it down, but there's something there"
>c) range, vector, firing solution
>d) ship class ID

I feel that c & d should be combined to KISS

>e) current status/damage estimates

Possibly unnecessary with current rules.

I favor the following:
Level 0 - no info
Level 1 - detection, number of ships in sensor range
Level 2 - approx size class, place in log based mass scale
Level 3 - all info

>Sensors come in three classes (BES) and two modes (Passive/Active)
Basic
>ranges P/A are 36"/54".

Basic should be inherent to all vessels to prevent the necessity for
redesign of current vessels.

After that, I rather like the idea of making them in classes, just like
beam batteries.

Then your ECM and ECCM "fire" and score "hits" which can give
bonuses/penalties.

>ECM: can't keep the enemy from knowing you're there, but it may keep
him
>from knowing what you are.  It may spoof missiles.

These could be some of the effects.

Schoon

Prev: BFGothic- Review Next: Re:[EFSB/B5W] Vorchan stand mounting