Prev: Re: 40K to SG2 Next: And so it begins. . .

Re: 40K to SG2

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:57:35 GMT
Subject: Re: 40K to SG2

I think that a relevant question with any such conversion is: what are
you
trying to accomplish?  Are you trying to play 40K with SGII rules, or
are
you trying to fit the 40K forces into an SGII setting?

In my attempts, I was trying to fit the 40K empire into an SGII-like
setting.  The Empire was old, powerful, and decadent.  The average
Imperial
citizen spent much of his life planning his own death -- a spectacular
and
gory suicide is seen as the best way to exit.  The entire culture was
fixated upon death, and war was seen mainly as an opportunity for a
proper
and meaningful death.  Imperial weapons and tactics were designed to
give
their obviously inferior opponents a fighting chance; war without risk
was
seen as pointless.  While terran weapons weren't particularly impressive
by
Imperial standards, their tactics proved quite effective.

I used the following adaptations, then, with Marines.

Because of their greater size (in comparison with "normal" 25mm humans)
and
their disdain for cover, Marines are always treated as though they are
one
range band closer than they really are.

Because they are part of a culture that values a good death over a good
life, they are less effected by suppression and may remove one free
suppression marker each turn without having to roll or spend an action.

Because there is no honor in killing an enemy who cannot even see your
face,
Marine weapons are designed to have a very short range -- a bolter fires

more like an SMGs than an assault rifle.  Of course, the bullets are
much
larger....  Bolters treat all ranges as one band higher, and give all
defensive rolls a negative die shift.

Marines ignore their own wounded, although they will sometimes finish
them
off.

Marines need to make a morale check in order to avoid charging an enemy
who
is within charge range.

There were a few more bits, but this is what I remember.  It's been so
long
since I played that I'm getting fuzzy on the SGII mechanics at this
point --
I've been spending all of my time/effort on ShockForce.

John Crimmins		john1x@hotmail.com	 johncrim@voicenet.com
	http://www.voicenet.com/~johncrim/index.html
     Home of "Destroy All Monsters!" and other nonsense.

Prev: Re: 40K to SG2 Next: And so it begins. . .