Prev: RE: Name that doodad, greeble, keg of beer, or whatever. Next: Re: Langston Field Generator

Re: Langston Field Generator

From: Marc Boisvert <mboisvert@c...>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 18:37:16 -0400
Subject: Re: Langston Field Generator

Phillip Pournelle wrote:

>     Langston Field:  Mass: 10 Cost: 60 Full Thrust points.	For each
> Langston Field generator build four rows of ten diamonds (just like
> hull boxes) to represent the field absorption chart.	Each Langston
> Field can absorb up to 40 points of damage before collapsing.  When
> this occurs, all 40 points go immediately into the Hull (not armour).
> Each Langston field can radiate 5 points of damage each turn (wait a
> full turn from the first attack to start bleeding).  Each Langston
> Field can absorb up to 10 points of damage in a single turn, any
> damage in excess of this goes into the hull and or armour, this models
> the burn through factor where a local spike occurs before the field
> can distribute the energy.  When the field is on and no damage has
> been done the ship gains one level of stealth, this models the active
> and passive energies being absorbed into the field.  After the first
> five points of damage this advantage is lost.  For each row filled on
> the field absorption chart the ship has a negative stealth shift, due
> to other ships being able to see this bright shining object even
> easier.  When the first row on the field absorption chart is filled,
> the ship cannot use any passive detection systems.  When the second
> row on the field absorption chart is filled, the ship cannot use any
> sensor systems, only fire control systems on ships it already is
> tracking.  When the third row on the field absorption chart is filled,
> the ship cannot maneuver or fire. When the final row on the field
> absorption chart is filled, the field collapses, the generator is
> destroyed, all 40 points are applied as hull damage, and if the ship
> somehow survives, roll an additional threshold check on all systems as
> if it lost another hull row.	  Multiple generators may be purchased
> and effectively combine their rows (2 generators give four rows of 20,
> etc.)

    I don't know how accurately you're trying to simulate the Langston
Field.
   The Langston field is an all or nothing proposition when it comes to
field collapse. When it overloads, it completely vaporizes what's
inside. Forty points of damage just wouldn't do it for larger ships.
Maybe 3 or more times  the stored energy directed vs the hull.
Tactically, this would be interesting as the decision on when to show
the white flag, ie surrender, by dropping the field would become
crucial. Death by field collapse or death by nuclear warhead and lasers.
If turned off, the stored energy would still be there when the field
would be reactivated, with maybe 1 pt per turn removed as radiated
energy from less efficient hull mounted radiators in comparison to the
Langston Field.
       Radiated energy per turn should vary on the circumstances. Maybe
5 per turn as standard, 8 if you have a Motie expanding field , and 3pts
if fire is coming in from different arcs, divided into port and
starboard arcs (this reflects that the field is absorbing energy on all
sides and has less available surface area to radiate away energy).
Energy would be radiated at the end of the turn after damage is
assigned. On planetary surfaces with a big enough heat sink (say an
ocean), attacking a field protected installation would require a ground
assault  (scenarios with  vulnerable assault transports come to mind) to
get at the generator or orbital bombardment to such a degree that the
planet becomes uninhabitable.
      Assuming the Codominium milieu  any movement would make the ship
detectable from it's drive flare. Otherwise if undetected, the ship
would remain virtually undetectable if flying ballistic. Say  a 1 in 36
chance if within sensor range. Passive sensors extending out of the
field  on booms would keep the ship from being	completely blind. These
circumstances would  be difficult to achieve as  the Alderson points
would typically watched for emerging ships and their drive flares when
they started to move in system. If using  some other FTL  or system
drives, that'll depend on the technologies used.
    I assume multiple generators reflects having extra heat sinks
onboard. I don't seem to recall multiple generators  operating
simultaneously in the books.
     I'm rereading Mote right now so I'll see if there's anything else
that comes up.

Prev: RE: Name that doodad, greeble, keg of beer, or whatever. Next: Re: Langston Field Generator