Prev: RE: Name that doodad, greeble, keg of beer, or whatever. Next: Re: Name that doodad, greeble, keg of beer, or whatever.

Re: Name that doodad, greeble, keg of beer, or whatever.

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 16:11:34 GMT
Subject: Re: Name that doodad, greeble, keg of beer, or whatever.

>I bought a bunch of Dirtside miniatures a while ago and I am in the
final
>leg of my assembly line approach of making them tabletop worthy.  They
are
>all from Geo-Hex and for the most part they are good minis.  The only
>problem I had was a lot of the vehicles had so much flash on the back
of
>the hulls that it obscured any detail that was originally there.  I
ended
>up filing a lot of the backs flat and gluing on bits of plastic card
and
>drilling holes to give them detail.  Anyone else had the flash problem?

We all have, but it's getting better.  I just filed it more or less flat
and
was content.

>Anyway, that isn't the reason I posted to the list.  A couple of the
>miniatures I bought share the same hull. Namely the HELLBAT Grav SP
>Gun-FWA06 and (I think) the SIMBAT Grav AA Tank-FWT42.
>
>The thing is that they both have a thing on the front that looks like a
55
>gallon oil drum.  I am getting ready to paint both of them and that
detail
>struck me as odd.  For those of you who haven't seen the miniatures I
am
>talking about or just want to play the home version of this game,
imagine a
>grav tank with a soviet style external fuel tank bolted to the front.
>
>The big question is what could they possibly be?  And, before you all
give
>me a bunch of goofy answers, realize that I am looking for PSB
explanations
>here.	I am fully aware of the possibility of sending a force in with
beer
>kegs mounted onto the front of their tanks as incentive not to get hit
(as
>if you really needed one).

I asked the list this very same question, about a year ago, when I was
prepping those same models for painting.  I eventually decided that it
was
just a barrel of water; you can never have too much water, right?

However, in the spirit of PSB artists everywhere....

The "drum" is the Argus class ECM suite, specifically designed (due to
weight and cost considerations) to be a modular device that could easily
be
added to existing vehicles.  When activated, the Argus will continually
scan
for sensor pulses, and when it detects them it will generate a series of

EMPs intended to confuse incoming missiles and disable their targeting
lock.
  The Argus has been the salvation of many a tank, and crews are prone
painting small eyes all over the housing -- for luck.

Either that, or it contains a platoon of freeze-dried marines.

John Crimmins		john1x@hotmail.com	 johncrim@voicenet.com
	http://www.voicenet.com/~johncrim/index.html
     Home of "Destroy All Monsters!" and other nonsense.