Prev: For The Alliance! - Highlights Next: Re: DS2-Orbital Bombardment

Re: DS2-Orbital Bombardment

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 16:19:09 +1200
Subject: Re: DS2-Orbital Bombardment

Christopher K Smith <smithck@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Just a quick question on orbital bombardment.  This may be covered in
MT
but I only have FT.  How many kilometers above the surface would a ship
performing orbital bombardment be stationed?
	There's more detail in MT, but I no longer have MT. :-(
	Because off-board artillery doesn't deviate, no matter where the
target is
on the table top, and because Orbital artillery does deviate, then the
range must be longer, may be two table lengths up in the air at least.
So
minimum distance must be 20Kms straight up. If the spacecraft is dodging
opposing enemy forces, and firing at a slant across the table instead of
straight down, then the distance could well be a lot longer.
	Orbital artillery in DSII scenarios is available every six turns
as
Brendan mentions. So what's the distance from earth's surface for a
roughly
circular orbit that is six times 15 minutes or 1.5 hours in duration?
Any
physicists on the list that can tell us?

Andrew Martin
Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Online @ 33,600 Baud!

Prev: For The Alliance! - Highlights Next: Re: DS2-Orbital Bombardment