Prev: Re: Scale? [Was: Re: The Naboo Fighter.] Next: RE: Scale? [Was: Re: The Naboo Fighter.]

Re: Pod Racers at MARCON

From: Andy Cowell <andy@c...>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 13:40:19 -0400
Subject: Re: Pod Racers at MARCON

In message <3732D5E5.1C5FB39E@glasscity.net>, Channing Faunce writes:

> Jeremy Sadler wrote:
>
> > >	Possible minor spoilers follow:

Definite minor (pod-racing) spoilers follow.

> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >.
> > >..
> > >.
> > >
> > >	The micromachine pod racers, and what I say of a demo of the
> > >pod racer video game is just begging for a miniatures game.  Pod
> >
> > Search out and find "Circus Imperium" for the Renegade Legion
universe, by
> > FASA. While the track is just an oval, I'm sure the mechanics would
work

> Using only 2 "tiles" (a 60 deg. bend and a strait track, each with 4
lanes)
> you should be able to make a wide variety of tracks. for an example
see:

Heh, this sounds like a really cool project, I'd love to dink around
with it.  I've read the book, and I'll try and give enough detail for
people to think about the rules.

The track was definitely 3D-- you had pod racers going too fast down
declines and smacking into the track when the it flattened out.  There
were also tunnel-like canyons and such, where riders had a tendency to
smack into the sides.  It was essentially a natural track, so I could
see lots of variations on the number of "lanes."

You also had lots of sabotage and fighting.  Lots of pods crash and
get crashed, killing racers.  They didn't really emphasize the pods
being at different altitudes, although I know Sulbuba was able to keep
Annakin from passing him, but at one point Annakin faked him out and
passed over him.

No whips, though; but at one point Sulbuba (a dirty racer) managed to
unhook one of the cables attaching Annakin's pod to his engines,
forcing Annakin's pod to tumble wildly behind the engines and lose
lots of ground until he could grab the cable using a magnetic pole and
reattach it.  I assume he was unable to steer at that point.  The
engines maintained their link to each other.

Sulbuba had a mechanism by which he could vent his engines out to the
sides, taking out other pod racers passing him at the same level.  He
also had an illegal blade attached somehow to his pod he would use to
attack other racers.

Prev: Re: Scale? [Was: Re: The Naboo Fighter.] Next: RE: Scale? [Was: Re: The Naboo Fighter.]