Prev: Re: Idle Torpedo Thoughts Next: [MISC] Moonbase Alpha

RE: Idle Torpedo Thoughts

From: Binhan Lin <Lin@R...>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 11:28:10 -0600
Subject: RE: Idle Torpedo Thoughts

Well there is a caveat to the more damage more mass idea.  That rule
should apply when everything else is equal - range, hit probabilities
etc.
If, for instance a system does twice the damage, but has half the range
I'd be willing to let it go for the same mass.	This is currently seen
with
Class 1 Vs Class 3 batteries - you can choose more damage at shorter
ranges and get a limited PDF capability or more range for equal masses.

Perhaps someone is willing to create a formula where you can equate
mass,
damage, range, hit probabilities, and fire arcs to a set of numbers that
would
allow direct comparison of various weapon systems.  This would probably
break down when you hit the extremes of the system (light damage at
extreme
ranges or heavy damage at very short ranges) but at least it would give
an idea
if a weapon was balanced compared to the known weapon systems.

--Binhan