Prev: Re: [FH]FTL comms Next: RE: [FH]FTL comms

Re: [FT]United Nations?

From: "Niall Gilsenan" <ngilsena@i...>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 13:06:42 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT]United Nations?

> G'day Donald,
>

> >Ok...How about this question then:
> >
> >When did the UN convince the member states to allow it to have a
fleet?
> Or are
> >their space forces (as of 2183) "borrowed" like their modern forces?
>
> Can't give you dates on when UNSC got its fleet etc, but as to who
owns
it,
> in my reading of the GZGverse the UN has a fleet of its own which is
> supplemented in times of crisis (e.g. Kra'vak war), or during certain
> missions, with other forces from other nations. For instance, in my
> crack-pot timeline, the IAS not only supply the UN with personnel to
stick
> on UNSC ships, but also let the UNSC "borrow" their ships too (e.g.
IAS
> fleet would be part of a joint UNSC force out to get Kra'vak etc.).
The
IAS
> do all this because they still need UNSC support and this is how they
repay
> that, this may not be true of other nations (especially the major
powers).

> At least that's my take on the UN in space.
>
> Beth

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable way of giving the UN a "punch"
in
times of crisis.  There is one article I remember reading in Ragnarok
about
the UN in FT.  It seemed to say that the UN originally was drawn from
member
nations militaries but after a NAC captain divulged UN military secrets
(pulse torpedoes in this case) to the NAC it was decided to have its own
organic membership rather than draw them in from other militaries.

The idea of using minor nations uninvolved in local conflicts to police
hotspots seems perfectly reasonable.  Oddly enough it has a parralell
with
the Kosovo crisis as apparently Milosevic is said to be prepared to
accept
UN peacekeepers from nations not involved with NATO like Ireland (I
wasn't
all that sure he'd even heard of us).

Prev: Re: [FH]FTL comms Next: RE: [FH]FTL comms