Prev: Re: [FT]United Nations? Next: Re: [FT]United Nations?

Re: [FT]United Nations?

From: Tom Granvold <thomas.granvold@e...>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 16:23:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT]United Nations?

Donald Hosford wrote:

> Tom Granvold wrote:
> >
> >    Nope, your friend has it wrong.	The  USA isn't paying its dues
while
> > most other countries do.
> >
> > Enjoy,
> > Tom Granvold			    <thomas.gravold@eng.sun.com>
>
> Where do you get info on this?  So I can read it too.

   As usual the real situation is not as simple.  I did a quick web
search
and found a UN press release, GA/AB/3287, dated March 16, 1999.  Here
are
two quotes from the press release:

"As the Committee resumed considering its agenda item on improving the
financial situation of the United Nations, Mr. Connor said those changes
were due mainly to increased payments by the United States. While that
country had contributed an amount exceeding its assessed contribution
for
1998, the amount it still owed represented 76 per cent of all unpaid
regular
budget assessments at the end of 1998."

"Speaking for the European Union and associated States, Germany's
representative
said that non-payment, particularly by the major debtor, caused
difficulties
in achieving efficiency and reform. As a permanent member of the
Security
Council, the United States had a special responsibility. Its higher
assessment
was in accord with its capacity to pay, as determined by agreed- upon
criteria.
The United States was also the sole beneficiary of a "ceiling", or
maximum
level of contributions.Speaking for the European Union and associated
States,
Germany's representative said that non-payment, particularly by the
major debtor,
caused difficulties in achieving efficiency and reform. As a permanent
member of
the Security Council, the United States had a special responsibility.
Its higher
assessment was in accord with its capacity to pay, as determined by
agreed-upon
criteria. The United States was also the sole beneficiary of a
"ceiling", or
maximum level of contributions."

  The full text of the press release can be found at
http://www.un.org/plweb-cgi/idoc.pl?305+unix+_free_user_+www.un.org..80+
un+un+pr1999+pr1999++dues

  The main UN page is at http://www.un.org/.

Enjoy,
Tom Granvold				<thomas.granvold@eng.sun.com>

Prev: Re: [FT]United Nations? Next: Re: [FT]United Nations?