Prev: Re: Sensor Range Question and Naval Strategy links Next: (OT) Univ of Berkeley

Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion]

From: "Andrew Evans" <J_Andrew_Evans@b...>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:00:41 +0100
Subject: Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion]

-----Original Message-----
From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@clark.net>
To: gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: 30 April 1999 03:30

<snip - imaginary numbers in FTL travel>

> The *real* problem with FTL travel is that no matter
> how you arrange it, there is always a way you can use
> it to violate causality.  Cause should always come
> before effects, it becomes real confusing if it doesn't.
> Without causality, all of physics becomes pointless.
> ( It would be analogous to the Pope being an atheist )

This is a philosophical point rather than a purely scientific one.   By
which, I mean that - it is not commonly known that - the Special
relativity
equations existed before Einstein (I mean the liebnitz contractions) but
were regarded as not producing "real" statements about the world.
Einstein's genius was the he considered what the nature of the universe
would be if the contraction equations were actually showing a real
effect.

A#

Prev: Re: Sensor Range Question and Naval Strategy links Next: (OT) Univ of Berkeley