Prev: Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion] Next: Re: Locating minis

Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion]

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:20:01 -0700
Subject: Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion]

At 9:33 AM -0700 4/29/99, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>Yep. The Jc drives, first appearing in the Starfire module "Akelda
>Dawn", do this. Ariving up to 100 tactical hexes away from the WP was a
>bit excessive, though - the necessary game map would've covered my
>entire living room floor :-/ The AD tech has been toned down since
>(SM#2, 3rd ed. revised), but we're not satisfied with them yet.
>
>The big problem in Starfire WP assaults is that campaign fleets -
>including WP defences - were so d**n huge. With the reduced income
>levels in the SM#2 economic rules, extreme WP defences are a lot less
>common - they still exist, but only in key systems... and over the past
>two years, I've seen lots of first-wave ships survive assaults.
>Battered, usually, but alive :-/

that sounds about right to me. Just as well I'm filling in my Starfire
collection via eBay, but I'll check The SDS Starfire Home
(http://www.starfiredesign.com/) for Akelda Dawn (nobody has one listed
outside a bundle w/ stuff I have; ye gods, I love this new job). That
removes what bugged me about Starfire (first wargame I ever played, c.
1979, so I'm happy about this). Now to do something about the 2d6 to
d10 conversion.... [1]

[1] Yes, I know a fistful of d10 rolls faster, but I've always
preferred a simple bell curve. Then again, I started gaming before the
d10 was introduced...

Michael Carter Llaneza
Devolution is very real to me.
http://216.101.185.88

Prev: Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion] Next: Re: Locating minis