Prev: Re: [OT] physics help Next: Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion]

Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion]

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:29:13 -0400
Subject: Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion]

Andrew Evans wrote:
> Ah ha!   A Physicist.   This is also my Doctoral subject, although
some
> while ago now.   I have been watching this thread and thinking -
although
> not saying - that in fact fast-than-light travel - at least by Special
> Relativity is not impossible.  The equations come up with some weird
answers
> (involving the square root of -1 if I remember rightly) and what those
> answers might mean is unknown but the problem is, I believe, that
travelling
> AT the speed of light is impossible and thus (or even hence) getting
to FTL
> speeds from this sub-light state is impossible.   If however you
already
> were travelling at those speeds then the equations do produce answers,
> just - from memory - imaginary numbers, right?

	Ummmmm, I'm afraid it is a bit nastier than that.
	There is nothing wrong with imaginary numbers,
	as long as you wash your hands afterwards.

	The *real* problem with FTL travel is that no matter
	how you arrange it, there is always a way you can use
	it to violate causality.  Cause should always come
	before effects, it becomes real confusing if it doesn't.
	Without causality, all of physics becomes pointless.
	( It would be analogous to the Pope being an atheist )

Prev: Re: [OT] physics help Next: Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion]