Prev: Re: [CON] Date change for GZG-ECC III - March 24-26, 2000 Next: RE: [CON] Date change for GZG-ECC III - March 24-26, 2000

Re: USA Timeline (was: RE: I'm Back)

From: Jonathan Jarrard <jjarrard@f...>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:01:40 -0400
Subject: Re: USA Timeline (was: RE: I'm Back)

Interesting stuff.  Two things really jump out at me, though:

1)  They took the LIBERTY BELL???  Given how massy the damn thing is, as
its dubious actual historical significance, I find that hard to
believe.  The Constitution is a good idea, though.

2)  Why on earth would representatives of a government dedicated to the
separation of church and state seek the blessings of the Pope?	Let
alone take along a semi-official clerical arm?	This makes no sense at
all, unless you add some sort of Catholic/Government or Catholic/Free
Space connection earlier in the timeline.  The idea of leaving records
with the Vatican isn't bad, but I don't buy the rest.

On the other hand, if there are any Catholic clergy among the would-be
colonists, I could easily believe that they might be in secret
correspondance with the Pope, and that the records could be passed that
way.