Prev: Re: I'm Back Next: RE: [CON] Date change for GZG-ECC III - March 24-26, 2000

Re: [FT] Sensor range question (and Evasion)

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 08:28:54 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Sensor range question (and Evasion)

>> Evasive Maneuvers - Reaction to fire. Can be declared by a target
ship
after
>> an attacking ship declares weapon fire against target ship,

>I don't know about you, but I don't call my enemy's ship ahead of time
and
>say "Look here, old chap, I'm going to be shooting at you right after
my
>gunners finish tea, frightfully sorry and all that."  Speed-of-light
weapons
>mean you need to be dodging _before_ you know someone is shooting.

PSB on that is easy. It assumes that enemy weapon lock on the target
ship
gives a fractional warning to the target - like "tone" in a modern
dogfight
(at least in the movies _with_ modern dogfights...).

As for the move cost for evasion, I agree that 1/2 movement is
arbitrary.
Cost should be 2 - 3 Thrust - Probably 2 for 1 EM, 3 for a second during
the
same turn (or 2 with a one-level-worse threshold roll because of the
increased stress on the engines). Ships with 1 thrust can EM once, but
threshold at one level worse because they're making their engines work
far
beyond specs.

EM is really mainly to avoid that killing stroke... when by some quirk
or
miscalculation you're staring down the point balnk  front arc of a
Dreadnought. Then it doesn't really matter who _else_ might be shooting
at
you. You want to avoid those 20 Beam dice and 2 Torps pretty badly.

Noam

Prev: Re: I'm Back Next: RE: [CON] Date change for GZG-ECC III - March 24-26, 2000