Prev: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question Next: Re: Sensor Range Question

Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:22:25 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Thomas Anderson wrote:
>
> > > 'Course, if you assume f = 1 you need more complicated vector
> > > movement rules to stay realistic <G>
> >
> > i think it's fairly simple to fix the rules though; it's just a pain
>
> It is quite simple. If the thruster pushes go on throughout the entire
> turn the ship ends up exactly half-way between the "coasting end
point"
> and the point where the FTFB Vector rules would put it, but the new
> movement vector is calculated between the starting point and the point
> FTFB specifies.

aah, right, i was thinking of fixing cinematic, for some reason. this
would involve applying your acceleration twice - once to get the speed
use this turn and one for next turn.

looking at what you wrote, i see what you meant. yes, that would be
better; in fact, when i tried to write my own vector rules, that's how
they worked. since i haven't seen FB's vector rules, i have been
assuming
they worked like mine. evidently they don't.

> No more to keep track of than now, but it takes a bit
> longer to execute each move.

in my system, you need to do:

- call ship position P
- plot initial velocity vector from P; call the end Q
- plot acceleration vector from Q; call the end R
- measure a vector from P to R; this is the new velocity vector
- place the ship halfway between Q and R, facing R

this assumes a ship turns instantly, points in one direction the whole
time and burns for the whole turn.

i don't know how it's done in FB; i assume the last step is replaced by
"place the ship at R, facing in the direction Q>R".

anyway, it's not a great addition.

> Of course this "half-distance move" is slightly off if the ship has to
> spend time turning, but with 15-minute turns the time required to turn
> the ship around should be small enough that the error is <<1 mu. I
> usually can't move my ships with half-mm precision :-7

i tried to figure out how it should work if the ship turns over the
course
of the turns, but the maths rapidly develops a bad case of trigonometry
which i can't cure :-).

the thing about instant turns is that it follows that all ships should
be
allowed unlimited turning (at the start of the move), which isn't
terribly
good for gameplay.

Tom

Prev: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question Next: Re: Sensor Range Question