Prev: Re: [OT] graphics Next: Re: Permision to post a file...

Permision to post a file...

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:00:57 -0400
Subject: Permision to post a file...

Hi Guys,

I know we are not supposed to post files; but I don't have a web page
and I'm not going to type in and format the numbers...	Just for fun I
decided to take our solar system and try to convert it into something
playable for a Full Thrust campaign...	The data chart is in a 34 kb
HTML file.  It's kind of interesting, because if you assume that 1" =
1000 km, then the 4" diameter Moon orbits 384" from a 13" diameter
Earth...  It is possible to map the solar system on a hexagonal map, but
you'll need a map about 200 hexes by 200 hexes.  This is because I
multiplied all the distances in AU by 2.5 to get the inner planets one
hex appart.  I haven't calculated orbital rotation speeds yet.	Earth
works fine at 1 hex per month, the other planets need to be modified.  I
used circular orbits, not elipses.  I know it's not accurate, but it is
much more playable.  The alternative is rendering a hexagonal map with
the proper eliptical orbits shaded in.	The chart includes all major
planets and their moons, a few major asteroids and the named centuars.
The number of known trojan asteroids are also listed, and guesses about
others.  Note that the chart ignores alot of small stuff out there,
NEO's, TNO's, Apollos, Amor's, etc.    I did not do an interception
scale intentionally.  It would be a nightmare of record keeping.
Basically if 2+ sides have forces in the same strategic hex, they right
down where they are (what planetary body) and then check to see if they
are in the same location, if they are then combat occurs.

So, is there enough interest out there to make it worth my while to get
kicked off the list???

IAS

Prev: Re: [OT] graphics Next: Re: Permision to post a file...