Prev: [WHY] PBEM Call for players Next: Jungle Trees

FH Machine People

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:45:54 -0400
Subject: FH Machine People

In an effort to generate a solitaire opponent, I've come up with the
Machine
People, who I have tentatively dubbed the Shen (from the Chinese
demons).
Ships run by AI's.  Write a strategy program with random variations and
note
which ones survive.
Example: "If within 12" of target, thrust to match target's current
vector
as closely as possible.  If distance >12", thrust directly toward target
at
full thrust.  If target has screens, rotate so torpedoes bear;
otherwise,
rotate so beams bear."	Variations might be "Roll 1d6: Thrust 2/1/0
points
left/right of target's current position".  The Machine People would have
smaller ships for the same capability (no crew accommodations), perhaps
less
effective damage control, no missiles, probably strong hulls and armor.
The
ability to fit more into a smaller space is offset by their inability to
be
as flexible as a human in response to enemy action.  If you lose a
battle
against them, they will call their Feeders in to convert your ships to
raw
materials; the Breeder ships take the materials and make new Hunter
ships,
using the more successful programs from those who've fought.
--Chris  DeBoe laserlight@cwix.com
Opportunity knocks:
Quixtar(sm) Pre-Launch Site: www.countdown9199.com

Prev: [WHY] PBEM Call for players Next: Jungle Trees