Prev: Re: Full Thrust Next: Re: Twilight

FB: Kra'Vak and chips

From: "Charles Sutherland" <douglase@i...>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 01:32:32 -0500
Subject: FB: Kra'Vak and chips

Hello all,

    To impatient to wait for the upcoming expansion I had to try and
hash
out some rules for my scratch built Kra'Vak fleet.  I wanted them to be
better on a per mass basis but keep the points totals fair and even.
    A few things I did was to cost thrust at 2.5% per point and *6 mass
for
cost.  Armour was .5 mass per point with a cost of 4.  This gave the
ships
the speed and durability I was looking for.

System	    Mass      Cost
Armor	       .5	       4
Thrust	       2.5%	 6*mass
RailGun 1     1 	     4
Railgun 2      2	      8
Railgun 3      4	     16

    The weapons were a bit trickier.  I tried converting the railguns
straight over but the one arc limitation made them pretty hard to use
and
there was no reason to take the class 2 or 3 guns.
    I wanted the big rail guns to be something that people feared but
not a
super weapon.  The to-hit mechanics were unchanged.  Damage was done
different and was the hardest part to get balanced out.  For each hit it
does it's class in damage (2 does 2 points) and then you roll dice equal
the class and each 5+ it does an additonal point and a re-roll.  I am
still
play testing whether or not the additional damage should bypass armor or
not.  All this seems rather nasty but with the very limited fire arcs
and
the fact the Kra'Vak use cinematic movement while everyone else uses
vector
it evens out.
    I expanded the class 1 RG to 3 arcs and the class 2 to 2.  All RGs
must
be able to bear through the front arc though.  This gave the KraVak some
ability to cover the sides but still kept the flavor of the aliens as
attack
minded lunatics.
 Still needs more play testing but seems to work allright for now until
the
official stats come out.  The battles so far have been against NSL and
ESU.
The ESU don't fare so well and the NSL do much better.
 All comments are welcome.  I also made an Excell sheet shipbuilding.
One
for human and one for KraVak.  It even calculates number of hull boxes
and
how to space the crew dots.  If anyone has not already made one and
wants it
let me know. I'ld be happy to share.

    That Chuk Guy

Prev: Re: Full Thrust Next: Re: Twilight