Prev: Full Thrust Next: San Diego gaming

Re: Full Thrust

From: "Mike Jameson" <mikefjames@b...>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:08:54 +0100
Subject: Re: Full Thrust

andrew evans wrote:

>I just organised our first Full Thrust game between my two sons.
Quite
>good although in play the movements and weaponry give very much on the
>"aircraft" model of space combat.    As I have previously noted,
although
>not on this list (!) I feel space combat "really" would be more like
>old-sailing ship combat with gravity wells providing the effects of
"wind"
>and the game being much more positional.   Full thrust is far more
about
>speed and the ability to turn to effectively bring weapons to bear -
not to
>mention guessing the move of your opponent
>
>The "annoying" bit was my eldest son kept moving his ships to light
speed
>whenever he started losing.   He mostly died but took swaths of his
>brother's ships with him.    Since we were playing with mostly Light
ships,
>mainly "escort" class with only one light cruiser on each side this
gave
>(for me) unsatisfying ends to the games where everyone got destroyed by
>FTL jump failure.
>
>Is this a problem with Full Thrust for others - people using FTL
failure as
>a weapon?

I've had people try this with everything from a one shot submunitions
pack
ship to a full sized battlecruiser. If you know your opponent uses this
tactic, it can be easily defended against .

The new battlefleet: gothic rules by games workshop have some
interesting
ideas with regard to movement. Some of the ships are designed with solar
sails, and they have three speeds which are dependant on their position
relative to the sunward edge of the table.

Mike Jameson

Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

mikefjames@btinternet.com

Prev: Full Thrust Next: San Diego gaming