Prev: Re: Buck Rogers on EBay Next: Buck Rogers game

Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

From: Michael Sarno <atomicat@g...>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 10:52:11 -0400
Subject: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

ShldWulf@aol.com wrote:

> >> I'd also considered adding an ability to have a "passing" fight
> >> if two fleets were traveling through the same circle along the
path. No
> >> actual stand up fights as the transfer velocity would be too high.

    To determine intercept, each fleet rolls a number of dice (d6) equal
to the
lowest thrust factor in the fleet.  You can break up fleets at this
point and let
the slower ships fall behind if you so choose.	You can also break up
the fleet
into several fleets for whatever purpose you choose; just roll for each
fleet.
Remember, each fleet can only attempt to intercept one enemy fleet.  The
fleet
which rolls the most 5s and 6s gets to choose if the intercept occurs.
Resolve
ties by the fleet with the most 6s.  If still tied,  a "passing" battle
occurs.
Of course, two fleets in deep space who both want to engage can feel
free to do
so.

> Again this was going to require a "detection" roll in my thinking as
space is
> big enough that you have to be LOOKING for enemies in interplanetary
space.
> And if you did spot em, it was one good shot with everything and worst
odds
> to hit, basically hope for the best.
>
> Either way, the compication factor may be too high. I'll keep thinking
on it
> and would appriciate input also :)

    I'm thinking of a game that would not require a referee.  In such a
game, I
was thinking about requiring a detection roll for ships in the same
system track
space along these lines:  Take the current thrust of the fleet and add
the number
of ships in the fleet minus one to determine the target number.  Then
roll 2d6,
(3d6 might work well if you want detection to be more difficult.) if the
number
rolled is less than the target number, the fleet has been detected.
This system
creates a situation where slow speed fleets, current thrust of 1 or 2
(Current
thrust of 3 would be included if the 3d6 option were used.) are
undetectable.
Therefore, I'd recommend that this system only be used if you were
allowing
automatic detection in planetary orbits.

-Michael

--
Michael Sarno

http://www.geocities.com/~atomicat
Check out my updated Charlie Company web pages!
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"No nation should put the burden of war
 on its military forces alone."
 -General William C. Westmoreland,
		  US Army, retired

Prev: Re: Buck Rogers on EBay Next: Buck Rogers game