Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 Next: Re: Other Solar Sys maps Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

Re: [OT] BFG Questions ? -Reply

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 18:13:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] BFG Questions ? -Reply

>and as for actual slingshots, my celestial mechanics isn't really up to
>speed there. all i know is that the slingshot ship goes faster, and the

If I recall correctly, you slingshot by entering an orbit with high
gravitational potential energy (GPE), go down the well until you're at
low
GPE (and high velocity), and then burn your fuel before you start
climbing
up the well again.  It's the fact that you had your fuel coming in and
don't
have it going out that makes it work.  I don't recall the math but I'm
sure
someone like Nyrath or Keith W would if you asked prettily.

Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 Next: Re: Other Solar Sys maps Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25